There’s something about a Christmas tree that turns everyone into a child again. Smell the needles, see the sparkling lights and glittering ornaments, and you can feel the anticipation growing. Choose the perfect Christmas tree for your home this year with our top tips.
Cut or pot-grown Christmas trees
Your first decision is whether to buy a cut tree or a pot-grown one. Pot-grown trees are often smaller than cut trees, but they will last longer – in fact, after Christmas is over, you can put them outside and grow them on for next year! If you’re short on space, a small pot-grown tree could be the answer. However, if you want a tree that reaches the ceiling, you’ll probably need a cut tree. If well looked after, cut trees will last until Christmas is over and can then be taken to a recycling centre.
Tips on caring for Christmas trees
- For the best choice, get your tree as early as you can so that you can pick one that suits the size and shape of your room. If you’re buying a pot-grown tree, you can choose one at any time from early November. For cut trees, choose from the end of November so that your tree will last through Christmas.
- Un-net cut trees as soon as you get home so that air can circulate around the branches.
- Rehydrate your cut tree by cutting an inch off the end of the trunk and standing the tree in a bucket of water (do this within 30 minutes of cutting, or it will seal over). If you are not putting up your tree straight away, leave it standing securely in the bucket in a cool, dry place, out of direct sunlight and sheltered from the wind.
- Position your Christmas tree away from fires and radiators, as these will dry it out.
- Check the water reservoir of your tree stand daily and keep it topped up.
We have a fantastic range of Nordmann fir Christmas trees in lots of different sizes now available in store. These are one of the most popular types of Christmas tree, often called the non-drop tree because it sheds few needles. With its symmetrical shape and dark green needles, it’s a classic.
Prices start at £29.99, so visit us to choose yours and get the festive season started!